In August, when the monsoon lashes out at the western coast of India, the southeastern coast enjoys bright sunny days and comfortable temperatures until November. This makes it for an excellent time to visit the beautiful towns of Mahabalipuram, Pondicherry and Tranquebar!
With its rock cut temples lining the shore, Mahabalipuram is a town steeped in mythology and history.
The erstwhile French colony of Pondicherry gives you an opportunity to wander about its many Rue’s or streets are called in French. Soak yourself in the laidback atmosphere of Pondy as you take a stroll on the Beach Road (closed for traffic at Sunset) or go on a session of Yoga at Auroville, pedal about the small bylanes of this Union Territory and dug into the awesome chettinadu cuisine available here.
Further south lie the erstwhile Danish settlements of Tranquebar where we invite you to go on a heritage walk around the fort and then board a small boat that will take us deep into the mangrove forest of Pichavaram through the maze of canals formed by the backwaters.
Our journey will begin on the Chennai Mail which departs on Tuesday night to arrive in Chennai early morning on Thursday. After a brief halt at the station, we will take the first bus to Pondicherry. Until Sunday evening, we will drive, cycle, ride through the bylanes of these three towns rich in history, architecture, culture and natural beauty. We’ll take the same train back on Sunday night to arrive in Bombay late Monday night/early Tuesday morning. If you’d like, you can join us directly at Chennai on 27th and or fly out on Sunday.
Total cost: Rs. 11,500
- To and Fro Train Tickets in 3AC on Chennai Mail
- 2 Nights in Pondy on Twin Sharing basis in Hotels(AC)
- 1 Night in Mahabalipuram in a hotel
- Transfers: Chennai to Pondy, Mahabalipuram and back to the station – Local buses.
- Internal transfers: By Rickshaws/Mopeds.
- To Tranquebar, Pichavaram Backwaters and back: Private vehicle.
- 3-4 hour boat ride to the mangrove forest and beach
- Food costs will be shared as per actuals.
- Advance Booking amount: Rs. 7500
A total of 12 backpackers will be allowed on this trip so call us on 9820023362 to confirm your booking!
NOTE: The cost will be adjusted to reflect the changes in train ticket prices (effective 25th June, 2014)